Thursday, October 22, 2015

Dating Gone Digital

Due in large part to the ever increasing codependency with technology over the past decade, the online dating scene is no longer what it used to be. It has evolved from being viewed as taboo to being viewed as nothing out of the ordinary. From match.com to Tinder, the shift in the presence of online dating in society has not gone unnoticed.
My paradigm shift that I have chosen to write about is online dating. More specifically, how technology has played a role in the popularization of online dating as well as the shift in perception of users on dating websites and apps. 

In 1995, a man named Gary Kremen launched a little website called match.com, that today is one of the leading websites of online dating. Back then, not many people had internet and the idea of meeting a future partner over the world wide web seemed a little bit absurd. There was a stigma associated with online dating that exists even now, but not nearly as much as it did then. One of the things I want to focus on in this paper is how modern technology and the internet played a part in the emergence of our fast paced life style that led to a revolutionized dating scene. Within a decade, the internet began to rule our lives and it played a major role in ushering in the new age of dating.

A more recent and specific evolution of online dating specifically I want to talk about is Tinder. I'm going to  show how online dating has become something tailored to people of all ages, genders, etc. Tinder is "so college", the hook up culture is real, and more and more younger people are partaking in the online dating scene. It used to be seen as a little bit desperate to sign up for an account, something that older people do, but now - especially with Tinder - it's accepted and done by many young adults. 

So those are the two main things that I want to explain about this paradigm shift: the role technology played in bringing in the era of online dating, and how dating apps like Tinder made it more socially acceptable to be a part of the online dating scene. 

Some possible sources:


4 comments:

  1. This seems like a good and interesting idea. The only thing I would think about is if you would be able to fill 7-8 pages with only focusing on two topics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea, it has certainly exploded since 1995, and as it is such a recent trend I think that it will be very easy for you to keep a narrow focus. Maybe you could even discuss how much easier they have gotten to sign up and use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting topic. Focusing on the two does seem like a few but I'm sure you'll find research to help explain the points to a deeper level.
    Have Fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalia, I like the specificity of this topic! You've found a precise niche, and that's going to help you. Here are a few observations:

    The end of your thesis (".... the shift in the presence in online dating in society has not gone unnoticed") is a bit vague. What is its significance beyond the fact that it's been noticed? Can you more precisely pinpoint why the increased prevalence or acceptance of this type of dating is significant?

    One other thing: given that this is "ONLINE" dating, you obviously will talk about the technology that has made this possible. At the same time, though, explaining that technology is used in ONLINE dating might be redundant because, well, online dating can't happen without it.

    This being said, when you discuss the rise of online dating, you can explain the types of technology that permitted it to happen and highlight the sites that were heralds of online dating services. (Tinder, from what I understand, would be one of the newest installments in these types of online dating services.)

    At the same time, I don't know if this would provide the "aha" moment that might come if you'd talk more about shift that this new form of dating has become more accepted -- perhaps even more desirable, to some people, at least -- than the original face-to-face dating scene.

    I hope this makes sense. You've got a great idea -- just hone that aspect of significance!

    ReplyDelete